[evaal contest] Questions about StepLogger

Michele Girolami michele.girolami at isti.cnr.it
Fri Oct 2 09:57:28 CEST 2015

Dear You,

I cannot understand your sentence:

"I have added the StepLoggerClient into my project and now it work well
on logging my navigation solutions into the positions.log file, this is
good."

StepLoggerClient does not log any file at all, rather it is StepLogger
that logs stuff.

*I summarize some instructions: *

to the purpose of EvAAL we released two Android-based applications:
1) StepLogger: the GUI
2) StepLogger Client: a service generating fake positions. During EvAAL
this application must be removed and replaced with you localization
application acting as client for StepLogger.

  * In order to run StepLogger you have to copy the .ini file inside the
    Download directory of your mobile phone. After that, you can run the
    StepLogger following these
    <http://evaal.aaloa.org/current-competition/software-specifications-for-competitors>instructions.
    Every time you press the blu button, Steplogger logs the file
    "buttonsPressed.log".
  * If you run SteploggerClient you can start the fake localization
    system that generates fake positions. StepLoggerClient shows 2
    buttons "Start Logging Position" and "Stop Logging Position".
    Clicking on "Start Logging Position" StepLogger now will log 2 files:
      o buttonsPressed.log
      o positions.log

If you want to use you own localization application (the one you will
use at EvAAL):

  * install StepLogger
  * (if installed) open StepLoggerClient and and click on "Stop Logging
    Position." In order to be 100% sure, you can also un-install
    StepLoggerClient
  * Install your own localization application and run it
  * open StepLogger, add the name of the competitor and press the first
    blue button
  * explore the directory where Steplogger logs the files and double
    check that StepLogger logs the two files:
      o buttonsPressed.log
      o positions.log

Some notes:
1) Be sure that your mobile phone runs : StepLoggerClient *OR *you
localization application. I never tried having two clients for
StepLogger running at the same time.
2) From your email I understand that you run you localization
application + StepLoggerClient + StepLogger
3) Code you localization application so that it is possible to stop the
localization system and hence it is possible to stop the invocations to
the methods in the AIDL interface
4) I tested StepLogger and StepLoggerClient with Nexus 4, Xiami MI2 and
with Sony Xperia X2 as well as with Samsung Tablet (even if this last is
not allowed at EvAAL since it is a tablet)

I attach to this email a simple INI file to copy inside the Download
folder of your mobile phone. Again, check these
<http://evaal.aaloa.org/current-competition/software-specifications-for-competitors>instructions
section 2.1

Let me know.