[evaal contest] Two questions on deploying a system for track1 (localization)

dsalvi at lst.tfo.upm.es dsalvi at lst.tfo.upm.es
Thu Jun 21 22:54:21 CEST 2012

Caro Maurizio,

> 1. Does the competition allow measuring with more precision the
> coordinates of some of the objects found in the LivingLab (e.g., kitchen
> appliances, table and chairs, etc.) before the actual 1-hour slot reserved
> for the deployment of the system?

the deployment time includes calibration and measurements, thus I would
say: no, you need to take measurements within that hour.
Consider that you can have more than one people working at time (although
the more people you have the lower the score will be)

> 2. Is it possible to measure the coordinates at which the sensors will be
> deployed and eventually mark them before the actual 1-hour slot reserved
> for the deployment? (in this way, during the 1-hour deployment slot, one
> will have to only enter the LivingLab and position the sensors, instead of
> first measuring their coordinates and then position them).

as said before: the 1 hour deployment includes measurements and
calibration, you cannot use extra time.
I suggest you to come already with an idea of where to position the
beacons and to just refine the measurement in place.

A little suggestion for all competitors: laser distance meters are allowed
;) (but are expensive!)

best regards,

Dario