[evaal contest] EvAAL - on-site tracks - outdoor markers and score computation

Francesco Potortì Potorti at isti.cnr.it
Mon Sep 28 15:05:58 CEST 2015

Dear competitors of on-site tracks (1 & 2),

here I am soliciting discussion on three points on which some of you
have raised concern or which need discussion.

FLOOR PENALTY

We use (see <http://evaal.aaloa.org/current-competition/ta2015track1-2>)
a floor penalty to compute the error on a marker for which there is a
wrong loor estimation.  I suggest the penalty to be between 10 and 20
meters and I am soliciting opinions on the exact number we should choose
for the penalty P.

MAXIMUM TOLERABLE ERROR

We set (see <http://evaal.aaloa.org/current-competition/ta2015track1-2>)
a maximum of 25m on the third quartile of error to be eligible for
winning the prize offered by ETRI for each track.  I am soliciting
opinions on this number: do you find it adequate?  Do you think that it
should be different for the two tracks (1 & 2), given that no GPS can be
used in track 2?

NUMBER OF OUTDOOR MARKERS

We have part of the path that is outdoors.  Being EvAAL-ETRI 2015
focused on indoor localization, only a small number of markers will be
outdoors.  I see at least three different criteria to help you have an
idea on the number of outdoor markers:

1) we can decide that no more than 10% of markers will be outside

2) we can decide that the average distance of markers is X indoors
   and Y outdoors, where the ratio Y/X is at least 5

3) we can decide that we have only N markers for each outdoor part of
   the path, with N equal to 1 or 2

I am soliciting opinions on the criterion we should adopt and the exact
parameters we should set.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.621.3058
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107