[evaal contest] EvAAL next steps and a sincere request for help

Dario Salvi dsalvi at lst.tfo.upm.es
Mon Oct 21 11:03:30 CEST 2013

Dear Mitja, all,

> There is also a third option, which I find attractive:
> We could hold a live competition in conjunction with an appropriate
> conference, such as Ubicomp, AmI, IE ... This solves the problem of travel,
> since the people likely to compete would also be likely to attend the
> conference anyway. If we allowed only equipment with a relatively short
> set-up time (say, an hour) and if the sequence of activities to be
> recognized were not long, we could squeeze half a dozen competitors in a
> day.  They could not use ambient sensors, but wearable sensors, cameras (of
> the regular and Kinect varietay), robots etc. are all still possible. The
> main reason this idea is cool is that it is interesting for spectators (thay
> can watch activities being recognized as the competition is in progress, we
> could have a live electronic scoreboard etc.).

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have two problems related to this idea:

1) the setup of the benchmarks.
In Madrid we have our own Living Lab which has served well for 2
years. We control it and we can connect to its network and get data
from its appliances.
In a conference: a) there can be no living lab at all, b) we can't
have good control on it, c) the effort to integrate the software
solution to the new living lab could be very high

2) time.
We need to launch the call for competition soon, I would aim at a
couple of weeks since now.
Given the little time, I don't think it's feasible to organize this
collaboration, unless we find a very effective and motivated channel
for doing it.

As you can see from Vadlo's email, there are other conferences that
are setting up indoor localization competitions. This is also
something that makes me worry, I don't want other competitions, with
big companies behind, to obscure EvAAL. For this reason, having
already 3 years of experience in advance to competitors, I think we
should go further pure localization and activity recognition and
suggest some more integrated approach.

In the end, if you can think of some concrete conference where we can
join, and if you have a direct connection to that conference so that
we can setup the track easily, we can consider this option, but we it
must be effective given the short time.

I am willing to receive your proposals.

best regards,

Dario

--
Dario Salvi
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9203-1124
dsalvi at lst.tfo.upm.es
Life Supporting Technologies
Departamento de Tecnología Fotónica y Bioingeniería
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Madrid, Spain