[evaal contest] Idea about improvements for the next year competition

Dario Salvi dsalvi at lst.tfo.upm.es
Mon Jul 22 17:17:08 CEST 2013

Dear Mitja,

 >> As a first stepin that direction, we would like to merge activity
> recognition
>> and localization, allowing those who are keen only on localization to
> compete
>> anyway.
>
> What about those who are keen only on activity recognition? In principle we
> could team up with someone who is keen on localization, but in practice this
> would probably be quite difficult.

actually it would be really interesting to see this: teams joined into
one challenge. One of the problems we have in research in AAL is that we
have many disciplines which rarely talk to each other. We have made an
initial effort to push some integration by offering the events generated
by our living lab, which was exploited by some competitors, but not all
of them.
Now we would like to see also some convergence from the competitors, it
is already the third year of competition and it would be good to see
some advance in that sense.
We will give the activity recognition a secondary role anyway so that
pure localizers can still participate and aim to win.

The idea is still under evaluation and your feedback will be used to
better shape it and take a decision.

Thanks very much for your answer.

Dario

--
Dario Salvi
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9203-1124
dsalvi at lst.tfo.upm.es
Life Supporting Technologies
Departamento de Tecnología Fotónica y Bioingeniería
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Madrid, Spain